According to yoga physiology our “prana” the life force energy escapes the body through the nine openings to perceive the world and immerse the consciousness in duality. However, if one can open the tenth gate, he /she can achieve enlightenment. The tenth gate is at the top of our head at the crown chakra. When the frontal area of the brain is activated and supplied with large amounts of high grade of energy, there is an awakening to a higher state of consciousness, which is called the Oneness State.
But looking at the nine openings we also know there is a tenth. And the tenth opening in a baby is called the anterior fontanel. As the baby develops this soft spot of the head closes and the skull bones knit tightly together. So in yoga physiology, a tenth hole is there from birth, but it closes. The key is to have a spiritual practice which withdraws the prana from the openings and closes those nine gates. It has to be achieved so you can redirect the flow of life force energy to move upwards and unlock the tenth gate.
Crown chakra is the source of unlimited pure physical energy. Purification of the this chakra creates space in the lower physical body and activates the sahasara chakra. The detoxification of lower impure physical body and activation of higher sahasara chakra completes the circuit between the two and the energy starts to flow.
The steps to open the crown chakra are as follows:
First concentrate on your forehead (3rd eye area), then to your pineal gland and finally your crown chakra.
1. Breath in
2. Begin to exhale and chant AhhUuuMmmmmmmm… feel the vibration of mmmmmmm throughout the body.
3. Concentrate and feel the vibration in your 3rd eye
4. Concentrate and feel the vibration in your pineal gland
5. Concentrate and feel the vibration in your crown chakra
Some of the beneficial effects that will come on the way, by which you will know that you are progressing.
- You will feel fresh and relaxed.
- Experience a sense of inner peace.
- Develop a cheerful and caring attitude.
- Being able to focus on anything for longer period.
- Being surprised at the clarity and depth of your understanding.
- Finding the world more beautiful.